Monday 10 January 2011

Surprised?

When my daughter came along, I used to read these child-development books, and was happy that she was reaching all the milestones. Actually, she was reaching them way before it was expected. When my son came along, I'd grown tired of checking, telling myself that as long as he was developing, on his own pace, it was OK. But I couldn't help noticing the difference. Like no interest in Lego, toys or games. Unless it involved electronics. Anything with buttons, he loved.  Or TV. If I let him choose, he'd rather watch TV than go to the playground. Seriously!

(I don't mean I thought he had developmental problem or other serious issues.)

He started school last September, and I remember joking with my husband that we should start a petition to add "nintendo playing" as a subject in school as it was the only think he'd be interested in doing that involved manual dexterity.

I knew he would be good at reading, but besides that, I was bit worried.

I shouldn't have. He surprised me big time.


*Patterned Paper: Making Memories (stripes), Basic Grey (all other)
*Stamps: Studio Calico
*Butterfly: Making Memories
*Font: Calibri Regular
*Punch: Woodware
*Ink: Colorbox  
* Embossing Powder: Stampendous

 Journaling:

Surprised? Me?

Surprised that you now diligently write your  A,B,Cs?

That you walk to school asking me "Does 8 and 2 makes 10?  And 4 plus 4 is 8?" That you  walk back from school asking me if I knew about caterpillars and butterflies?

That you left a voice mail to Daddy reciting all the months of the year?

If I tell you that you never had any interest in Lego nor building blocks. That you took forever to learn how to play Snap. That you refused to draw or write in preschool. If I tell you that you took so long to learn your colours that I was convinced that you were colour blind, you'd understand. I am surprised. Pleasantly so. Over the moon so.

PS: I always knew you had brains. What I was afraid was that you'd be too laid back to use them.


That was back in October. He's reading now...

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

Elisa, what a fun LO, love the expression on your son's face. Super cute. Happy New Year to you and yours and wishing you a wonderful 2011.

Avital said...

Wow, gorgeous layout. So inspiring!

Thank you for being so sweet <3